The Department Store, Brixton
Architect/Client: Squire and Partners
Joinery/Wood Supplier: Carpenter Oak
Wood Species: European green oak
Photography: James Jones
The Department Store revives a local Brixton landmark to create a series of collaborative workspaces supported by an evolving hub of creative, retail and community uses. Originally built in 1906 as an annex to the Bon Marché department store, the design of the reimagined space has been informed by the existing fabric and layers of history. The beams and coffers of the floors were replicated but allowed to reach for the sky as lanterns, creating a village of naturally lit spaces housing multiple functions including a bar, dining room, lounge and kitchen. Green oak was used in place of steel due to its sustainable characteristics but also for its natural live quality. The fact that the oak is French, creates a further link with the original Bon Marché stores.