Contact Us: [email protected]

Springfield, St. Clare’s

Springfield, St. Clare’s

Education & Public Sector Award Highly Commended 2016

Location: Oxford
Architect: Hodder + Partners
Client/Owner: St. Clare’s, Oxford
Structural Engineer: Thornton Tomasetti
Main Contractor/Builder: Benfield & Loxley
Structural Timber Sub Contractor & Engineer: Eurban
Timber Frame Supplier: Hasslacher Norica Timber
Joinery Company: Benfield & Loxley, D Smith Joinery
Wood Supplier: Timbmet Ltd
Wood Species: European Oak, Spruce

St. Clare’s College provides courses in the International Baccalaureate. The original site, a large detached Grade II listed house, was created in 1903 by architect Henry T Hare. The listed building is at the head of the five new pavilion buildings arranged around a new quadrangle between existing trees. The new buildings accommodate 36 study bedrooms, rooms for three wardens, two common rooms, and an art studio. The residential pavilions are constructed of oak-clad CLT, comprising 100mm thick wall and floor plates. CLT was chosen as the structure had to be craned over the listed building and completed in time for the start of the new academic year. The cellular nature of the wall and floor plates can be seen in the structurally glazed oriel windows. The choice of oak as a cladding material, both inside and out, was driven by the original building. The naturally ventilated art studio has an exposed glulam portal frame in oak.